Rejuvenation The Key To Stay Away From Early Degenaration
Everybody wants to live long and healthy; therefore the body systems need to be rejuvenated for a better harmony of the body. Rejuvenation Therapy is also known as Rasayana Chikitsa. It is one of eight branches of Ayurveda, described under Jara- Chikitsa, which aims at achieving a long and healthy life. The word Rasayana is a combination of two separate words Rasa and Ayana. In this context, the word Rasa means the first liquid tissue that nourishes all of the tissues in the body and Ayana is its circulation. Ayurveda is world’s ancient medicine system, is a life science focuses on every aspect of life. Ayurveda has two aims i.e. Prevention and health promotion, and secondly, disease cure. Rasayana may be used to satisfy both. Rasayana help to improve natural immunity, Boost general health, improving the functioning of all the body’s vital organs, inhibit the aging cycle and slow the process of degeneration in the body. Rasayana is not a drug treatment but is a specialized procedure performed in the form of rejuvenative preparations, dietary routine and special health promoting conduct and behavior.
Need of Rejuvenation- Our lifestyle has become very exhausting. This is due to over-exertion-it increases stress both physically and mentally. Due to changes in duties the timing of eating has become irregular. Because of the availability of different gadgets in the kitchen, the use of television, mobile phones and computers has led to a lack of exercise. Increasing numbers of people are addicted to alcohol, smoking, unhealthy sex, too much sleep and narcotics, using old, preservative foods. All of this leads to low dhatu bala, low ojas, vitiation of all doshas; resulting in premature aging, exhaustion, weakness, inability to tolerate stress, chronic illness and depression.
Types of Rasayana
As per their scope of use
Kamya rasayanam (used to fulfill a desire or wish or to serve a specific purpose), it is of three different types
- Prana kamya Rasayana: Supporting vitality and longevity.
- Medha kamya Rasayana: It is used to improve the memory and the intellect.
- Srikamya Rasayana – Promoter of complexion
Naimittika Rasayana (It is used to cure illnesses, but only for a certain period of time.)
As per the manner of usage
- Kuti-praveshika Rasayana – That can be administered by keeping the person inside a specially designed chamber for a period of time, and rasayana preparations are provided. Panchakarma cleanses his body first and then he is exposed to Rasayana. This is also named as In -door therapy.
- Vatatapika Rasayana – This can be provided even if the person is exposed to sun and wind. It is also called outdoor or open air therapy.
As per Rasayana material
Ajasrika rasayanam(This is used to improve health and keep a balanced lifestyle, diet or exercise well. It involves the use of milk, ghee, honey and the maintenance of lifestyle discipline)
- Aushadha Rasayana-Drug and herbal based
- Ahara Rasayana-Diet and nutritionally dependent
- Achara Rasayana-By behavior and conduct
The optimal age group for obtaining rasayana ranges from 16 to 90 yrs. It is beneficial to purify the body with appropriate Panchakarma methods (when necessary, Vatatapika Rasayana may be given even without Panchakarma therapy.) or with mild purification in order to give the person the maximum benefit. A person should have a stable mind, be intelligent, and be able to control his desires, he’s supposed to believe in the medicines and procedures that are going to be done. While undergoing treatment with rasayanam, the person should forbid from smoking, alcohol and other bad habits.
Principle of Rasayana action
Rasayana works in different ways – it increases micro-circulation and thus creates tissues of optimum quality in the body. It also increases the strength of both Agni and Prana, and removes the body’s waste products. It also works as antioxidant, adaptogenic- anti-stress and anti-anxiety. Many procedures for rasayana and work on herbs or foods act as amphoterics, alteratives and tonics. The most important thing, however, is that they won’t overtone the body. Amphoteric herbs are built in buffer which helps the body’s homeostasis and alterations to normalize the physiology through gentle elimination process. Certain types of rasayana work as bio purifying as well as prolonging the individual’s life span.
Benefits of Rasayana Therapy
- It improves intellect, memory, mental strength, strength of body, skin glow and sweetness of voice.
- Rasayana is aimed at enhancing metabolic processes, resulting in the best biotransformation possible and creating the highest-quality body tissues and eradicating senility and other old-age diseases.
- It feeds blood, lymph, flesh, adipose tissue, and semen, thus preventing chronic degenerative changes and disease. It frees from chronic degenerative diseases such as arthritis and senile diseases.
- Rasayana rejuvenates the entire body and enhances natural resistance to infection by increasing the power of Immunity.
- Rasayana that has marked reproductive organ action and also nourishes Shukra dhatu
- Helps achieve maximum physical strength and sense organ sharpness.
- Rasayana generally uplifts the body by maintaining the required balance between anabolism and catabolism.
- Rasayana therapy that controls vital fluid circulation and removes waste materials, rejuvenates the nervous system and retains vigor and stamina.
- Inhibits muscle wasting, delays aging, preserves healthy bones, tendons etc. Helps prevent osteoporosis, increases the circulation of the entire body, prevents hair graying and gives healthy sleep and appetite.
- Rasayana Therapy is pleasant to the body and mind.
Interpretation of rasayana with modern aspects
- Antioxidant action
- Immuno-modulatory action
- Adaptogenic action
- Anabolic action
- Nutritive function
- Neuroprotective action
Some important rasayana herbs
- Vardhaman pippali rasayana.'(Piper longum) – is the recommended Rasayan -chikitsa for ‘Pranvaha shrotasa'(Respiratory system).
- Bala (Sida-condifolia), Kashmari (Gmelina arborea) and Varahi (Withania somnifera) act as dietary adjuvants and enhance tissue and organ strength (Balya).
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) – acts as ‘Digestive Rasayana’ by removing tissue/organic waste products, especially G.I.tract.
- Amlaki (Embelica officinalis) and Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – decrease the catabolic cycle and thus delay ageing. Thus they are known as ‘Vayasthapak Rasayana’ (Adaptogenic tonic).
- Bhallataka (Semicarpus anacardium)-provide a potent immune-promoting agent that overcomes many illnesses, such as rheumatoid arthritis, and certain stages and forms of malignancies.
- Lahsun (Allium sativum) – enhances the tissue enzymes.
- Punarnava (Boerrhevia diffusa)-facilitates kidney function and increases the regeneration potential of nephrons (a functional unit of the kidneys).
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica) – helps to increase memory and intellect and thus act as Brain Tonic.
- Shatavari (Asparagus recemosus)-is probably most famous as a female rejuvenator. It is beneficial for infertility, diminished libido, miscarriage, menopause, and leucorrhea. Shatavari promotes lactation in breastfeeding mothers.
- Kapikachhu (Mucuna pruriens) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)-encouraging tissue generative action, restoring senile sexual dysfunctions and curing impotence.
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul)-contributes to further digestion of waste products (Aama).
- Praval (coral-corralium rubrum), asthi bhasam (calcination of the bones), kukkutandtwak bhasam (calcination of the outer cover of the hen’s egg)-provide vital calcium for bone development and growth.
- Suvarna (Gold) and Hirak (Diamond)-increase ojas (the body’s essence)
Following are some special formulations used as a Vatatapika Rasayana
- Pippali Rasayana
- Amalaki Rasayana
- Shilajitu Rasayana
- Brahma Rasayana
- Loha shilajitu Rasayana
- Haritaki Rasayana
- Vidanga Rasayana
Rasayana (Drugs &Formulations) specific for systems and organs
|Respiratory System||Chyavanaprasha, Vardhaman pippli|
|Water Metabolism System||Fresh Ginger, Cardamom|
|Digestive System||Pippali, Bhallataka,, Haritaki|
|Circulatory System (lymphatic portion)||Draksha, Shatavari ,Dates|
|Circulatory System (blood portion)||Amalaki, Dhatri lauha, Bhringaraj, Suvarnamakshik Bhasma|
|Muscular System||Masha, Ashwagandha, Bala, Kupilu, Rajat bhasma|
|Adipose System||Guggulu, Shilajit, Haritaki, Guduchi|
|Skeletal System||Shukti bhasma, Kukkutandatwak bhasma, Vamshalochana,|
|Nervous System||Ashwagandha, Loha bhasma Shankhapushpi, Swarna bhasma|
|Reproductive System||Ashwagandha, Kapikacchu, Shweta Mushali, Shatavari , Vidarikanda, Swarna bhasma, Go- Ghrita and Cow milk.|
|Urinary System||Punarnava, Gokshura|
|Excretory System||Kutaj, Vidanga , Triphala|
|Sweat System||Basil, Kupilu|
|Menstrual System||Ashoka, Lodhra, Shatavari|
|Lactation System||Shatavari, Jeeraka , Milk|
|Nose||Nasya of Anu tailam|
|Skin||Tuvarak, Khadir, Bakuchi|
|Heart||Guggulu, Swarna bhasma|
|Neuro-Muscular System||Bala, Nagbala, Garlic|
Some therapeutics importance of Rasayana
- Vayasthapak Mahakashay- Anti Aging Drugs
Mahakashay is an ayurvedic formulation that comes under the rasayana category used as age stabilizing agent that also cures various diseases and enhances aphrodisiac strength.
- Rasayana for neuro degenerative disorders
A research supports the impact of Ayurvedic Rasayana on Alzheimer’s disease as a neuro-protector. The thesis was based on the Amalaki rasayana, made from Indian fruits of gooseberry, and Rasa-Sindoor, an organo-metallic Bhasma produced from mercury and sulfur. Study has shown that the dietary supplement of either of these formulations significantly suppressed neurodegeneration in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Ritu haritaki rasayana in Gastritis/ Acid peptic disease/ Hyperacidity
Giving Haritaki powder with various adjuvants at different seasons is named Ritu Haritaki.
Haritaki and Guda (Jaggery) provide healing powers for all forms of gastric disorders.
- Rasayana for Menopausal Syndrome (Rajonirvritti janya lakshana)
The research reveals the efficacy of different Rasayana Chikitsa, such as the use of Rasayanakalpa Vati for menopausal syndrome. The analysis showed a substantial impact over a span of one month. The study established Rasayanakalpa Vati as a powerful therapeutic agent for the treatment of menopausal syndrome.
- Bhasma as rasayanam
The usage of aquatic and soil origin metals and minerals after many purification and calcination processes produces nanosized fine powders as bhasma. Bhasma undertaken many vital functions such as stimulant, antioxidant, enhances strength, immunity, longevity, memory and intelligence etc. Most ancient ayurvedic texts referred to bhasma as Rasayan Chikitsa ‘s key type.